The Paul Bunyan Trail, over 100 miles in length, covers a large area. The trail now includes 80 paved miles. With 7 segment maps and over 14 individual city maps and descriptions.
* The southern trailhead of the Paul Bunyan State Trail is located on Excelsior Road in Baxter. From the intersection of State Highway 210 and the State Highway 371 bypass in Baxter, go north 1 block to Excelsior Road, then go east 3/4 mile to Conservation Drive; the parking lot is on the left.
* The northern trailhead is located in Lake Bemidji State Park. From Bemidji, go north on Co. Rd. 21 about 4 miles, then east on Co. Rd. 20 two miles to the park entrance.
* in Merrifield, Nisswa, Pequot Lakes, Jenkins, Pine River, Backus, Hackensack, and Walker.
* North Country Trail parking 5 miles west of T.H. 371 on Cass County Road 50
* off T.H. 34, three miles east of Akeley.