1. Provide opportunities to the public to learn about natural resources, especially the wildlife and plant species, of the Great Plains Region.
2. Provide visitors with enjoyable educational experiences that impart the importance of wise stewardship of natural resources and the roles and responsibilities of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks, and the Wichita Department of Park and Recreation.
3. Serve as community resource for conservation and related informational materials, with emphasis on the importance of urban habitats to wildlife and people.
4. Serve as a resource for environmental education with school district, youth organizations, colleges and universities, conservation organizations, and other groups and individuals interested in wildlife and the environment.
5. Provide environmental educational services for and accommodate the physically challenged, senior citizens and other special needs groups.