Located on the west shore of Beaver Lake, the park’s gently rolling prairie provides scenic views for leisurely walks. In the summer, the lake attracts visitors for boating, canoeing, water skiing and fishing.
The park has a colorful and historic background relating to the early settlers of Logan, McIntosh and Emmons counties. The first organized gathering to promote a state park occurred on July 14, 1929, at Shepherds Pavilion, south of the present park site. In August of 1930, the land for the park was purchased.
Park improvements came slowly during the drought and depression of the 1930s. Beaver Creek was dammed in 1933, raising the level of the lake. In 1935, a Works Progress Administration (WPA) crew was assigned to the park to build roads and pathways, construct an earthen dock, and to terrace the picnic area.
Today, Beaver Lake State Park is staffed year-round, with camping, picnicking and water-based activities available from mid-May through the end of September.