South Dakota is truly a wild frontier. A key player in the days of the Wild West, it’s offers kids unforgettable experiences filled with history, excitement and of course, FUN!
Mount Rushmore National Monument, Badlands National Park (where you might run into a real dinosaur dig!) and Custer State Park with it’s incredible buffalo round-up, are by far the most visited attractions in the state, and for good reason! They are national treasures.
History comes back to life again, with sites like the Four Mile Old West Town, the Prairie Homestead and the High Plains Western Heritage Center, which honors the pioneers and the Native Americans of the region.
And did you think that South Dakota would have two of the world’s longest caves? Black Hills Caverns, Rushmore Caves, and even Broken Boot Gold Mine - the oldest gold mine open to the public in Black Hills - all give kids the chance to go deeper underground and explore underneath the state!
There are so many fascinating and fun things to do in South Dakota, no matter what age you are, you will find something magical and adventurous!
There are 62
Click to filter all attractions by type.
- Theme Parks in South Dakota
- Waterparks in South Dakota
- Zoos in South Dakota
- Tours in South Dakota
- Indoor Play in South Dakota
- Museums in South Dakota
- National Parks / Natural World in South Dakota
- Things to do for Active Kids in South Dakota
- Historical Attractions in South Dakota
- Transport Attractions in South Dakota
- RV/Campsite in South Dakota
- Skiing in South Dakota
- Ice Skating Rinks and Rollerskating in South Dakota
- Caves and Mines in South Dakota
- Arts and Crafts in South Dakota